Saturday, June 24, 2017

A Veteran is a Veteran!

My grandfather, Wallace (Wopke) Asma, immigrated from Holland in 1920, he was 23 years old. He left his home in Holland for the U.S. two years after serving as a Border Guard along the Dutch-Belgium border in WWI .  He was sponsored to come to America by his older brother Henry Asma, who was already in the U.S., living and working in Niagara Falls, NY as a house painter. My grandfather joined his older brother in the House Painting business, and married my grandmother in 1926.  In 1942, at age 45, he submitted his U.S., WWII Draft Registration card in preparation to serve in yet another world war, only this time for his "new" country. He was never called to serve in WWII.

I'd like to recognize my grandfather as another of #theunfamousones

No comments:

Post a Comment

The War Letters - On Hiatus

March 8, 2018 Today is my birth father Frank's birthday. I think he's been whispering to me. I've been working on this project...