Monday, October 16, 2017

Medal of Honor Recipient - Bernard P. Bell, Niagara Falls, NY

A quiet man, Bernie Bell was a boarder at my mom's house in the 1940's. While my grandmother was cleaning one day, she discovered his war medals hidden behind the sofa. A Bronze Star, a Silver Star, an Oak Leaf Cluster in lieu of a second Silver Star, a Distinguished Service Cross and the ultimate Medal of Honor.

A Technical Sgt. in the U.S. Army during WWII, Bernie Bell later worked for the Veterans' Administration in Buffalo, NY after his discharge. He earned the nation's highest military honor after capturing a schoolhouse occupied by German troops near Mittelwihr, France on Dec. 19, 1944.

Then-President Truman personally awarded the Medal of Honor. Bernie Bell gave my mother this signed original photo and his original papers citing his Meritorious service. We recognize and thank Bernie Bell, a decorated hero in our nation's eyes, for his service and honor his memory as one of The Unfamous Ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The War Letters - On Hiatus

March 8, 2018 Today is my birth father Frank's birthday. I think he's been whispering to me. I've been working on this project...