Saturday, January 27, 2018


January 27, 2018
In 2014, I discovered over 500 letters my father, Pvt. Frank G. Thompson, had written during WWII. Beginning today I will post summaries of his letters and I invite you to follow his story from reporting for duty to his honorable discharge. He was a B-17 Radio Operator Gunner in the 95th Bomb Group and one of The Unfamous Ones.

Follow his story at theunfamousones.com or twitter.com/theunfamousones. #WWII #WWIImuseum #History #MilitaryHistory #WWIIToday #wwiistories #wwiimemories #wwiistories #WWIIhistorynet #95thBG #WW2Facts #WWIIletterlover



The War Letters - 1944  

January 27, 1944
On this day 74 years ago, Pvt. Frank G. Thompson left Niagara Falls, NY to report for duty at Fort Dix, NJ. He was 21 years old. En route, he heard the conductor announce something with "town" in the name of the next stop. Believing it was his stop in Jenkintown, he got off only to realize he was actually in Quakertown. This mistake resulted in a 3 hour "layover", which he didn't seem to mind as he wrote "they grow Grade A Red-heads there"...Upon arriving at Fort Dix, he was checked in, but not classified yet, completely outfitted "GI", assigned to Company C Barracks #8 "but God only know where we really are" and had his first experience at the Mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The War Letters - On Hiatus

March 8, 2018 Today is my birth father Frank's birthday. I think he's been whispering to me. I've been working on this project...