Wednesday, February 7, 2018

The War Letters

February 7, 1944


"I must let you know the good tidings...I was boarded (and the sentence was not finished). Later that same day, "O BOY! O BOY! O BOY! Received a package" and 3 letters from home in the morning mail. Today was about the best day he's had in the Army thus far. He was boarded and accepted by Aviation Cadet Examining Board and hopeful he will be leaving by the next shipment. "At least I have some purpose - some goal. I have observed that men become stupid, sullen, and without character when they lose purpose." When a man ships, he's restricted and cannot call or write home so if he's not heard from for a bit, it means he's on his way to Basic. Depending on his fireman's shift, he's planning to make Communion and Novena tomorrow. He's being called for formal retreat - then chow! That's all for today folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The War Letters - On Hiatus

March 8, 2018 Today is my birth father Frank's birthday. I think he's been whispering to me. I've been working on this project...